Monday, November 18, 2013

The demise of naps?

I think the day might be coming soon and much sooner than Chris and I are ready for!  I certainly hope that by talking about it we aren't making it come true.  In the past 7 days, Bennett only napped one or two of those days.  Noooooo!  Of course we have to still attempt a nap for a bit longer which tends to mean lots of him trying to escape his room, talking loudly, etc.  If only he would sit quietly and we'll just call it "rest time".  This is especially challenging at school.  They are fine with him not napping, if only he would stay quietly on his mat to read a book.

This week Chris also started tech for Cabaret.  This meant I was on my own Wednesday-Friday after work/school and on Saturday from mid-morning through the evening.  Then he had Sunday off as well as today before he goes back to tech for two more nights.  Ugh.  Luckily he's around in the morning to help get Bennett ready for school which is always tricky if I have to be getting myself ready at the same time without an extra adult to help.

One day when I went to pick Bennett up from school his hair was sticking up.  Turns out he'd had a ponytail earlier.  And then he got another one.  :)

On Saturday we had our first skating lesson.  I definitely feel a bit rusty from not being on the ice in about 6 or 7 months.  Here's the only picture that I have of Bennett as he's getting dressed in warm clothes.  He gets very distracted if he sees us so it's hard to get pictures of him skating.  What's nice though is his orange snow pants!  When I'm on the other side of the rink it's easy to see where he is among all of the other people in black or navy pants!


After skating Daddy went to work and Bennett and I ran some errands and visited Mimi.  Then after a failed nap we went to Brandeis so that Bennett could check out the set and so that we could go to dinner with Daddy.  I guess the lack of nap caught up with him, because he fell asleep on the way home at 6:10pm.  I was really dreading how early he might wake up on Sunday but he surprised me.  He woke up at 6:40!  Bennett and I let Daddy sleep for a bit to catch up on some lost sleep.

A couple of hours later we woke Daddy up and got ready for our weekly trip to Sturbridge.

It was a pretty quiet day- chilly and a threat of rain which kept many people away.  Plus there wasn't much on the schedule.  But this worked to our advantage when we got to the tinshop!  Phil put Bennett to work making something out of the tin.

First they went to one machine and bent the edge of the tin.

Then they went to another machine and crimped that bent edge over a piece of wire.


Then the folded it in half.

Next they bent up each side in a curve.





Finally Phil soldered the two ends together and we got a heart shaped biscuit cutter.  Phil told Bennett to give it to Mummy.  A perfect early birthday present!

No comments:

Post a Comment