Monday, August 2, 2010

Yup. I played the pregnancy card.

Normally I'm not one to take advantage of being pregnant. When I'm at a store with special parking for expectant mothers, I don't use it. I can walk the extra distance. I'm fine carrying boxes, groceries, etc (within reason). However, this past weekend we went to Maine. Traffic was horrible! I needed to take a bathroom break, but it wasn't worth getting off the highway. Finally we came to a rest area/ welcome center. I think everyone else stopped there too.

I left Chris outside to get my mom out of the car and into her wheelchair while I ran in. The line for the ladies' room was out the door and wrapped halfway around the building. I went towards the front of the line and asked, "will anyone take pity on a pregnant woman and let me cut in line?"

The teenagers at that point in the line looked at me with two heads, but then there was a woman who pointed out the separate (single stall) handicaped bathroom to me and suggested I go there. At first I wasn't going to, but after seeing people leave it I decided to go ahead. Sweet relief! And then perfect timing- by the time I got outside Chris was bringing my mom in. A mom with small children had gone into the handicapped stall in the meantime, but we were soon able to get in.

I told my mom and Chris what I had done. Chris was a bit surprised that I did that, but my mom understood. I guess it's one of those things where you have to have been pregnant to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment