Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Initial thoughts

I've thought about starting this blog for a number of months now. Initially it is more as a journal for me- a way to capture my thoughts as we go through the baby making process. Then eventually it will be a place to share with friends and family.

It's now the end of month eight of trying to make a baby. It's a bit of a frustrating process. I never did have regular periods. This is the main reason why I went on the pill 15 years ago. So when I stopped taking it, I didn't really expect to have a "normal" period. And I haven't. My cycles have ranged from 27-37 days. (A doctor once told me that as long as you get your period at least every two months, you were considered normal. How the heck is that normal?)

So now it's day 30. Nothing yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The past two months, when I got to about this point I took a pregnancy test. It would read negative, and then I'd immediately start my period. Although I don't think I was jinxing myself by taking the test, it certainly could seem that way. So I'm kind of putting off going out and buying another test.

Back in December 2008 we were in Georgia for Christmas. Chris had mentioned to his sister that during the next year we would start trying. We were thinking start in May-ish. As we were leaving, she made a comment about how hopefully we would have a baby when she next saw us. Um, hello?! Give us some time! Not only were we not planning to start on January 1st, but these things sometimes take a while. However, neither of her two kids were exactly planned, so she doesn't necessarily have a realistic concept of how these things sometimes take time.

I also have a gripe about ovulation prediction tests. If I need to keep using them, it's probably time for me to switch brands. The brand I've been using says that the test line needs to be equal or greater than the reference line in terms of intensity. But when I test, it's so hard to tell. I think I get a positive test, but then based on a test a few days later I think that maybe the first one wasn't as intense as I thought it was. And then I compare my temps to what the OPK says, and the dates don't match. No wonder this whole process is so confusing and frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment